OK so it’s no secret that I really, really hate winter. Every year on November 1st I start to feel depressed that winter is coming and the weather is going to be cold and snowy and totally suck. The darkness and lack of sun I can handle. Hell, I like things a little gloomy and ever since I had LASIK surgery my eyes are more sensitive to the sun so I can take it or leave it, as long as it’s relatively warm outside.
And now here we are in February which is my least favorite month of the year. Just the name and the crappy spelling of February sucks. February. Blah. Nothing good can come of February. Nothing but winter blahs.
But this year I’m vowing to change that. I’m looking at February as one month closer to spring (or as my friend calls it, Winter Lite) and eventually summer. So here’s my list of things I’m going to try to beat February at its own game.
- Enjoy the Superbowl. I despise football but for some crazy reason I’m looking forward to it this year. I’m gonna whip up some good snacks and cheer on the Saints.
- Hike at the nature center – it’s been way too cold to get there in the mornings, but on the mornings it gets above 30, I’m going.
- Geocache – at the nature center! There are about 5 caches I haven’t found there yet so if I can get one each day or even just one a week that would be great. And geocaching in general. It’s way more fun in the winter when there are no bugs or leaves on the trees and it’s easier to follow the footprints in the snow to the cache.
- Watch the Olympics – I’m a little bit outdoorsy but I’m way too chicken to do anything like downhill ski or snowboarding. But I love to watch that stuff on TV so here’s to skiing, luge, speed skating, and snowboarding!
- Get a new cover for the spa – There’s nothing like enjoying a nice drink in the spa, even if it’s 20 degrees outside. ESPECIALLY when it’s 20 degrees outside. Unfortunately our cover is totally waterlogged and weighs about 500 pounds so I can barely lift it. That needs to get fixed.
- Build a snowman – I haven’t built a snowman in ages! If we ever get a decent amount of measurable, packing snow, I’m gonna make a snowman in my front yard for all the world to see.
- Crochet a hat – A friend of mine sent me a crochet pattern for a cute hat she was wearing last time I saw her. I already made one in brown for my mom and will be making a black one for myself.
Wow! That’s a ton of stuff to keep my mind and body occupied in February. But that still leaves March and April to try out some other fun ideas, like:
- Get a pedicure or do a pedicure and manicure at home followed by a paraffin dip.
- Indulge in some sort of guilty pleasure, like trying some expensive chocolates or going to the spa or lying around all day in PJs and watching the Godfather trilogy.
- Dig thru old photo albums or organize loose pictures into an album or scrapbook.
- Start a blog!
- Start planning a summer vacation
- Do a little retail therapy
- Send an actual letter or postcard. Not an email. Actually write it out on real paper, stick a stamp on it, and send it via the good old USPS.
- Act like a tourist in your own city. Visit a local museum. Even if it’s something cheesy, just to say you’ve been there. Ask people for directions or restaurant recommendations.
- Do something nice for someone, but do it anonymously. Like pay for the coffee of the guy behind you at Starbucks or the chick behind you in the Taco Bell drive thru.
- Go to the make-up counter at a department store or Sephora and have them do your make-up or brows.
- Learn how to do a magic trick or two.
- Visit the library and check out a few books and videos. It’s free!
- Go for a walk and take pictures of random things that catch your eye. Experiment with different angles or turn the camera halfway to frame it oddly.
- Go to the humane society and talk to the dogs and cats. Skritch a few on the head now and then (don’t forget to wash your hands in between to avoid spreading germs from animal to animal).
- Make a different type of soup every Sunday.